Sunday, April 15, 2012

Daddy Dilemma

The other day a family had moved in down the street. Since I had children my life has revolved around my children and family, not that I don't love them, I just had been feeling lonely lately. I wasn't actually alone, the house was quite full, but I hadn't gotten to go out and make friends in the longest time. So new neighbors was a great way to start.


Since the kids were in school and my baby girl Thyme was napping, I took the opportunity to visit the new neighbors. It was a beautiful little house surrounded by a variety of flowers. I bounced up onto the porch, excited to meet new people, and rang the bell.


A bubbly blue woman dressed as a mime answered the door.
"Well, hello, there!"

Her name was Java, an aspiring mime who had two children of her own. She introduced me to her husband, Atoll, who was also in the performing arts.

Her son was at school, but I got to meet her little girl, who entertained herself by singing to her doll.

"Sof' kitteh, warm kitteh, widdle baw o' fur. Happeh kitteh, sweepeh kitteh, pu' pu' pu'."

-----
After Java excused herself to change into her regular clothes and wash off her makeup, we chatted for a while.
It turns out we had quite alot in common. Most notably she also had an affinity for furry little creatures. Maybe even more than me. They have 8 cats!!


We also set up a play date for her son and my three little rascals. I was quite happy that the kids would be having a play date. The twins didn't associate much outside of the family, if they even wandered outside of their twin bubble. And my little Mojo was a little loner and spent most of his time with his turtle. A little socialization will be good for them!

-----------------

Minty answered the door when Java's son Malibu came for the play date.


"So, I guess you're Malibu."
"Yup"
"..."
"..."
"Well, come in, I guess."


"You're hair's weird." Mint was never one to sugar coat or censor herself, so it came as no surprise that some of her first few words to the boy were blunt.


"What are you talkin' 'bout?! My hair is awesome." His response took me by surprise, it wasn't the usual reaction Mint's honesty got from other children.


"Haha. I like you. We're gonna be friends."
"Ok."

-------------


"...Pep?" Cosmo began as we played dominoes one evening.
"Yeah, babe?"
"I'm worried about the kids." He started pouting then. And although it was worrisome it was also adorable.
"Why?"
"They're growing up too fast!" I started laughing then.
"They are Peppy! Mojo's already 4! Rosie's in ballet and she's been spending alot of time with that boy, Onyx. Mint's been pining over that neighbor boy. It's like they already have boyfriends! It's making me feel old."

"Haha. you're tiny."


I giggled at his frantic rambling. "First off, you're 33. You're not old. Second the girls are 6, they still think boys have cooties. We don't have to worry about boyfriends or girlfriends for at least 10 more years."
"Only 10?" He pouted again.
"Pep?"
"Yes?"
"I don't know how to play this game."

-----------------

Thursday. 4:32pm.

Father's journal. I don't know what the star date is.
About to implement reconnaissance mission. Don't have much faith in it, but it's worth a try.
Target: Rosemary Swirl Firework.

I walked into the living room to spot Rosemary doing her homework, and the cats spazzing over a toy.
Target acquired.

I sat down next to her. "Need any help Rosie?"
"Um, I guess." She continued to jot down addition problems.


I actually helped for a few minutes, then I broached the subject. "So, Rose, your friend Onyx..."
"What about him Dad?"
My brain died for a moment and I blurted out "He's purple."
She cocked an eyebrow at me. "I.. know that Dad."
"Heh, that's not what I meant to say. How do you feel about Onyx?"
She went back to work then. "The same way I feel about all of my other friends."
Target is being uncooperative.


"Do you believe in cooties?"
She let out an exasperated sigh then, obviously fed up with my efforts. "I think I got this now, Dad."
"I'm just asking becau-"
"I got this Dad."
"Alright, I'm going."


Mission failed.


-------------------------------

AKA Why Cosmo isn't a secret agent.

The little cutie Onyx is courtesy of Rob and is from his Rainbowacy, Nectar Hills.




In case you didn't see it on tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment