Saturday, June 11, 2011

a new life pt. 2

"Mom, Dad, there's something I need to tell you."
All attention was on me now, which didn't help the lump in my throat at all. Half an hour after a double funeral isn't the best time to break this sort of news, but if I didn't now then I never would.
I took a deep breath as the concern on their faces grew ten fold each second I didn't speak.
Oh if only Paprika could be here it would be less heart-ache inducing.

Finally I had enough courage to speak. "Momdadpaprikaispregnant!" Unintelligibly.
Slowly realization dawned on them. Then Anger. Then half an hour of yelling and two hours of "I can't believe you did this" 's later resignation cleared the anger from their faces.
It didn't help any that when I was going to bed I was greeted with "Wow, Mare I'm surprised you got laid." From Bi-baby. Really helpful.

My parents emotional storm had calmed eventually, though mostly due to the fact that I was moving in with Pappy and her family to help do my fatherly duty. Berry that sounds weird!

By the time 6 months rolled around we were both 18, which helped support my "I'm an adult" campaign. Some what.
To show their support my parents gave me all of the money from my college fund to buy a house, after all I wouldn't be going to college anytime soon with a baby on the way.


Through out the pregnancy Pappy would play the piano for the baby and I would sit behind her and watch her for hours.

Her stomach grew quickly, so quickly that she had to switch to maternity clothes almost immediately. She was worried that she was getting too big and asked the doctor about it.
Now if teen pregnancy wasn't at the top of every parents' "What to Kill My Child For" list then teen pregnancy resulting in twins definitely was.
My parents were less then enthused but they weren't angry, just surprised. I guess all the anger came out with the original shock.

Anyway, when the long nine months were finally up we brought home two little bundles. I thought Drover grew up quick but when its your own child (OK in our case children) it seems so much faster.

My little girl, Padua Bouquet Pinot Noir, thought she was queen of the castle and demanded the respect of one too.


Her big brother by 13 minutes, Aero Picton Pinot Noir, was much more laid back and patient. Padua demanded that her needs be met first and Aero was just fine to wait, my good boy.

Everyone loved the twins, mainly because they knew how to work people over. Which is how they got their dolls, they batted their purple eyes at Dad till he got them.

One day after they were tucked in their cribs I asked Pappy if she wanted more children.
"Ask me that again and you're getting a vasectomy."
... Maybe in a few years.


Also, I didn't realize how much happens in a year until I wasn't there to see it every day.
Drover was in first grade and apparently had an imaginary friend. Mom knew it was normal but she still worried about him when he would tell her all about his adventures with Violet Umber.


Wisty was a sophomore and Downy a freshman. Dad didn't enjoy the "erruption of over-emotional volcanos" that much. He liked it even less when Wisteria was hanging out with a boy.

Of course as the loving big brother that I am I had to interrigate her about her new boyfriend.
"Oh for Berry's sake! London is NOT my boyfriend! He's just my friend and unlike you all he doesn't obsess about a 'personal bubble'!"
Ya, I don't believe her.


------------
Much more drama to come.... well mainly for Downy but that's in a little bit ;D

1 comment: